6.10.2009

Encore

So I haven't blogged in like 2 1/2 months.

At first it was because I felt a certain pressure to put out a certain number of entries every month. Odd, I know, but most pressure in my life is self-inflicted, so why should this be any different.

Then it became because I thought that blogging about ED might be triggering. Even though I took a recovery approach, blogging still made me think about food issues almost daily.

I'm not going to lie, the break has been freeing.

I have been doing INCREDIBLY WELL. I finished up my lab work and finals at my undergrad university, ending with a published paper and a 3.98. I graduated. I have made my move to Madison, set up my new apartment with J, started working in my new lab. My relationship is better then ever. I am completely ready to get engaged, and we plan to within the next year. I am happy- not crazy I'm-going-manic ecstatic, but a calm inner happiness. I am fulfilled, at peace, and full of love.

My ED symptoms have been gone pretty much this entire time, which is incredible considering how hard transitions tend to be for me. I don't weigh anymore, but I can tell I have gone down. The 10's I was wearing are huge and the 8's feel good right now. I am happy with the way my body looks- toned and healthy. I can easily eat the trigger foods in moderation. J and I cook whole foods and don't eat out too much. I have traded in my strict weekly work out schedule for bike commuting (3.5 miles each way, 5 days a week) and am thinking about adding some yoga. There is a studio on my block.

I suppose the final part of my journey through recovery has been stopping thinking of myself as a person with an ED or recovering from an ED and rather seeing myself first and foremost as a healthy, loving person.

I thank the blog community for the role they have played in that journey. You have all been tremendously helpful, and this place has been a refuge and a source of camaraderie.

This is going to be my last post on this blog, as I feel I have truly become Master of my Mind.

8 comments:

K said...

Three words will suffice: YOU GO GIRL!!!

Anybeth said...

Awesome. I'm so happy for you and congratulations.

Anonymous said...

Now that you are Master of Your Own Mind, I hope you can do something to help other's Master their own minds. You will be missed Maestro.

Apple Berry said...

This is wonderful, truly! This is such an inspirational evaluation and post WELL DONE!

V x

Anonymous said...

Stumbled across your blog this morning - an amazing story of personal growth and development.

For what it's worth, I spent three years of my life in Madison as a postdoc. A bit of a change from the beaches of San Diego, where I went to grad school, but loved every minute of being in Madison. Fond memories of hiking through blizzards on New Year's Day to finish sequencing the new oncogene I had just cloned.

Though Madison has changed in the past twenty years, it is still a wonderful place to live while in grad school. And neuroscience is such a great field to be in. Have a great time!

A Cuban In London said...

Well, congrats!

Greetings from London.

Apple Berry said...

Heyaaaa,

It's me, DontPukeInMyWellies, you OK? I've com eback to my other blog, i sewed my lips together :D he he, and saw this link and was like ohhh yeah! I wonder how she's doing? So yeah, how are you doing?

Hope all is well. Would love to hear back from you, and stuff! Lush! Me x

Coke Addiction Kinda Sucks said...

Mega kudos!!! ;)